Your Privacy Matters to Koini
At Koini, we value your privacy. This means that we understand that will likely wish to know how your information will be stored and used by us. Rest assured, your comfort and security are of paramount importance to Koini.
Koini ensure that all information protection and customer legislation standards are met while handling personal information. We are committed to protecting your privacy and the security of any data provided.
To this end, we abide entirely by European regulations concerning privacy and personal data. This is known as the GDPR, or General Data Protection Regulation. GDPR is why you'll always be asked to accept cookies when entering a website. It's an annoying pop-up, we know, but it's very important.
Who Collects Your Data?
Koini is the data controller for information that we collect through all of our channels including our website, social media, over the phone and through e-mails.
Any future reference to, "we" or "us" in the policy applies to Koini Ltd.
Koini is registered with Companies House under company registration number 11222342, with a registered address of Kemp House, 160 City Road, London EC1V 2NX.
Legal Basis for Data Processing
Under the definitions outlined in the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), we process information under the following lawful bases.
· Contractual – when you place an order with Koini, you are entering into a contract with us. To fulfil our contractual obligations, Koini needs to obtain your name and address.
· Legal – we sometimes need to process data on legal grounds, such as the sale of age-restricted products or a product recall on safety grounds.
· Legitimate – Koini may need to use your data to improve the running of our business, such as identifying particular popular products. This will not impact your rights, freedom or interests.
· Consent – Koini may ask you for permission to process your personal data for specific reasons. We will only use your consent for the specific purposes stated, and you may withdraw it at any time.
What Personal Data Do We Collect?
Acting accordance with GRPD law, Koini collates the following information.
· Your name and (if applicable) company name
· Contact information including phone number and e-mail address
· Billing and delivery addresses
· Payment card details
· Where required proof of identity for age verification. This maybe direct or from agencies such as Experian
· Your feedback via phone, email, post or social media
· Account login details for our services, including your user name and chosen password
· Your marketing preferences
· Information about when and how you use our websites. This includes the device information such make, model, browser and IP address
To deliver the best possible web experience, we also collect technical information about your internet connection and browser. We also note as the country where your computer is located, the web pages viewed during your visit, the advertisements you clicked on, and any search terms you entered.
How Do We Collect Personal Data?
Koini obtains data in the following ways:
· Through our checkout process
· When you create an account with us.
· When you communicate to us through our online contact forms, email or instant messaging
· When you enter prize draws, competitions or complete a survey.
· When you review our products and services
· When you interact with us through our social media sites
What Do We Do with Information We Collect?
The information you provide us with is required to process your order, including payment and delivery. We may also need to contact you if we need to discuss any aspect of your order. These could include stock delays, discontinued products, recalls or if we believe you have ordered incorrect items. We also need to carry out age verification if you purchase any knifes or bladed items.
When you participate in a competition, prize draw, giveaway or offer, or sign up to attend one of our events, either through Koini or indirectly through a third party, the information obtained will be used to administer competitions and manage events, including securing your registration at an event, and selecting and contacting prize winners.
If you provide the personal information of another customer for one of our events, we will assume you have the consent of any named individuals to provide their personal information for these purposes.
Your information will be deleted shortly after the promotion or event has finished, unless you have signed up to receive marketing communications from us.
We like to tell you about our great offers, ideas, and products that we think will be of interest. Where we have your consent or it is in our legitimate interests to do so, we may do this through the post, by email, text message or by any other electronic means. However, we won't send you marketing messages if you tell us not to. When you order you can tick a box to remove yourself from our email marketing and all our subsequent marketing emails give you the option to opt out.
We use automated decision making, including profiling, in certain circumstances, such as when it is in our legitimate interests to do so, or where we have a right to do so because it is necessary for us to enter into, and perform, a contract with you. We use profiling to enable us to give you the best service possible including specific marketing which we believe you will be interested in.
You have the right not to be subject to a decision based solely on automated processing, including profiling, which has legal effects for you or affects you in any other significant way. If you wish to amend your preferences, sign into your account and manage your preferences or contact us.
Who Do We Share Your Personal Data With?
Koini sometimes share your personal data with trusted third parties. These include payment processing vendors. Koini will only provide the information needed by the third party to perform their service under a specific contract.
We work closely with these third parties to ensure that your privacy is respected and protected at all times. If we cease a relationship with these third parties, any of your data held by them will be deleted or transferred back to us.
Third Parties Located Outside the European Union
Businesses outside the EU are not bound by GPRD regulations. For your protection, Koini will only share information with businesses signed up to a EU-US Privacy Shield Framework (USA-based companies) or a contract approved by regulators.
How Long Do We Keep Your Data?
Koini has no interest in retaining data longer than it is required. This means that we will store information for as long as it is pertinent in relation to warranty, returns policy and audit requirements. Standard policy, as per financial regulations, is to retain data for seven years. We will hold data for longer if a warranty extends beyond this period.
How Can You Control Your Personal Information?
Under the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) individuals are entitled to the rights to be informed, to access, to rectification, to erasure, to restrict processing, to data portability and to object. You can exercise these rights by contacting us.
Please note that we will need to verify your identity before we can fulfil any of your rights under data protection law. This helps us to protect the personal information belonging to our customer against fraudulent requests. We will process each request according to GDPR guidelines.
If you wish to amend your marketing preferences, you can do so by logging into your Koini account. Please note that it can a little while for all marketing to stop once you either withdraw your consent or tell us you’d like to opt out of marketing. This is because some marketing may already be in transit.
If you believe that any information we hold is incorrect, please inform us as soon as possible to enable us to rectify the issue. You may request details of the personal information that we hold about you under the terms outlined in the Data Protection Act 1998 and General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).
Koini ensures that the personal data collected and processed is kept secure and protected against any unlawful processing and against accidental loss, destruction and modification.
Contacting the Regulator
If you have any concerns about the use of your personal data, you can raise a query or complaint with the Information Commissioner’s Office.
You can contact ICO by calling 0303 123 1113 or online at www.ico.org.uk (note that this is an external website and is in no way affiliated with Koini)
Note on the Sale of Kitchenware
As a retailer of kitchenware, we offer for sale a range of knives and bladed items. These products are restricted for sale to persons over the age of 18 as per the Criminal Justice Act of 1988.
We take the responsibility of age verification very seriously. Ergo, as part of the transactional process, we will attempt to verify the age of the person purchasing any bladed product using Experian’s Prove ID Service.
This system will seek to verify the customer’s details against several databases in order to clarify the customer’s age. You can find more information about Experian’s Prove ID Service here and more detail about how and why we share your data with Experian here.
There are three possible outcomes when we perform this check.
1) The customer’s age is verified, and they are confirmed as over the age of 18. In this case, the order will progress through our systems and be delivered as normal.
2) The customer’s age cannot be verified, and it is not possible to confirm whether they are over the age of 18. In this case, DPD may require photo ID on delivery.
3) If the age verification was not successful, the customer will be contacted by our Customer Services Team.